Monday, March 29, 2010

Dear Blog


My dear friend blog...sorry that I am so inattentive lately! I think of you often, but don't always make it to the computer to visit you. Here is a small little tidbit of life from our corner. Spring Break was last week---we played at the zoo, drive in (Alice in Wonderland), bowling, off to the cabin with the Breinholts---Fun and frolicking!


We even had fun playing in the dirt! We kept 17 people going and happy---that's quite a feat!


Here's something new: Kalissa's left ankle. It's difficult to make out the damage, but on the edges of the swelling, you can just make out the bruising. I should have taken the picture on Saturday when the swelling was double. Here's the story: In the second quarter of our Soccer game on Saturday, Lissa was playing goalie and got slammed by a fun aggressive player (on our own team). Kalissa crashed down on her own foot bending it backward! Well her face immediately was racked with agony---and she was taken out of the game (we already had no subs---and now we were officially under the 8v8 intended for this age). I, as Mom AND Coach was divided taking care of my suffering kiddo and keeping the other players on task. Nonetheless, her ankle swelled to the size of a softball within minutes. Luckily our assistant coach is a foot doctor and after the game he did a quick assessment and said she needed x-rays. Well---I took her to get x-rays (thanks to Birthday Boy Uncle Kerry calling it in) and the x-ray tech called later to say she looked fine, just a bad sprain. So we went on with life somewhat normal--except poor Lissa hobbling along. Then today, at about noon, Dr. Kerry called to say another tech had looked at the film and said: "There is a fracture and it's right next to the growth plate."

So I went to the school and took Kalissa out (she was wearing a stabilizing boot--thank goodness) and took her to the Ortho Surgeon and sure enough---the girl has a fractured Fibula. She will continue wearing the boot for 4 weeks, after which point we may move to an air cast and on to physical therapy. Luckily she got a pedicure at a fun birthday party---so she has cute piggies---hugely important. So please accept my apology friend blog--I'll try to visit you another day soon!


P.S. We miraculously won that soccer game! The other team had 13 players and was able to sub and keep their team fresh, but somehow our tough little team of 8 down to 7 persevered and won! 3 to 0. Woo Hoo!

4 comments:

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

OH< Kalissa.......I hurt for you...hobbling is NOT fun but I bet everyone at school is helping you out and paying LOTS of attention to you. Enjoy it!!!! When we come in 2 weeks you won't be able to run away from us..hee hee hee......

The Walker clan said...

Your soccor team rocks!!! Poor honey! Get better!!!

spideybrian said...

In some ways it's better that there's a fracture, sprains don't always heal completely, so here's to hoping for a complete and comfortable recovery!!

Good job on the win!!

Amanda Tippetts said...

Way to pack it in on Spring Break! I bet your kids look forward to that every year. Sorry about that ankle, Kalissa!