My kids LOVE gum! I don't know why. Maybe it's because I'm the treat Natzi. I don't mean to be. I really just can't stand that if my children accepted every treat they were offered everyday, they would be eating the equivalent of 3 cups of refined stinking sugar a day. And we wonder why we are all insulin dependent type 2 diabetes people these days! Duh!...I know I have issues. I also enjoy treats, chocolate and sugar, but "the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been since the fall of Adam." So all things in moderation! That's why they are called treats---they are not to be consumed multiple times a day...right? Okay---I'll save the lecture for another day. Stay tune for that one, I know you can hardly wait!
I don't know how sugar free gum plays into all of this. I know there are chemicals in it that are undesireable for our bodies, but I gotta draw the line to my nuerological misgivings about consumables somewhere! My kids often trade in their marble jars (jars that get filled with marbles for great behavior) in for packs of gum. They love it.
Bear does not---he has tried it twice now---last week when I gave him 1/2 a piece of minty gum---he dry heaved 5 times in the first 20 seconds of it being in his mouth. Wierd. Yeah...no gum for him!
But Pop who is going to turn 3 this next week is a broken record 300 times a day. "Mommy can I have some pink gum?" She has recently joined the ranks of the Wilson gum chewers maybe a week ago, and you can hear her chomping across a crowded room! Yikes--not very lady like! She looks in my purse, climbs on the counter looking in the cupboard and explores even the trash cans looking for gum. Disturbing.
I have been at a Girl's camp meeting today, and dealing with over a thousand dollars of pool repairs, (ya know fun things like that...) and every time I walk back into the house, I find Pop with a new mysterious piece of gum in her mouth. Sigh. I need a leash for that cute chick!
I just sat down and she came up next to me, and I picked her up on my lap and said "I don't feel like I have seen you very much today" (we are usually connected at the hip) so I gave her a snuggle and she smiled sweetly and said: "Mommy, can I have a piece of pink gum?"
4 comments:
What is it about looking at you that makes her think about gum???? That nice pink face?? And what's the deal with the pool???
Gum is a staple at my house...sugar free of course. I feel that it takes the place of candy very nicely. Much rather have them "cleaning" their teeth with a stick of gum than rotting them out with candy. So just think of gum in that way...read the labels because apparently they are chewing the equivalent of a toothbrush! (don't know if I believe it, but it sure makes me feel better!)
That's cute, I remember asking Mom for gum all the time too, but I never got the pink kind. It was always Doublemint...I think that's why I hate that kind of gum now.
Your a fabulouse mother for giving gum instead of candy...I have friends who do the opposite and they wonder why their children are so hipper and naughty. LAY OFF THE SUGAR!!! I thought it was a great idea that my mom (I mean the Easter bunny) always put a pack of gum out for us to find. It replaced at least one other thing that would rott out our teath :)
Post a Comment