1. My first soccer game was this weekend. I say my first because I've never actually played, but I'm now the coach. I wrote up a roster the day before, and still didn't sleep great. In the car on the way over I told Lissa that I had butterflies in my stomach and she said she did too. I turned around and looked at her and said "you have nothing to be afraid of cute girl---you are a GREAT player!" She played so hard and so well---you should have seen her as a keeper---pouncing on those balls. That's one tough cookie. Our first quarter was rough---but we got better and better. In the end it was 3 to 0 their favor. Two of those goals were scored in the first 5 minutes. When I got back in my car at the end all by myself (Lissa had gone with the rest of the family), I laughed out loud and cried a tear or two---out of relief that the first was over! I've never had irrational anxiety that wasn't at 4 in the morning!
2. Bear and Big D also played their first games of the season. Big D is on a new team with a military like coach---who produces amazing results. Bear is just happy to to run and play. That to me is what soccer is mostly about! How happy to be alive and run for joy!
3. I love the tender mercies that one can find if only willing to open our eyes. I have a tendency to get sucked into the never ending to do list and all the day to day chores and happenings, but when I pause...maybe even "be still" that's when I am reminded of what I promised to remember.
4. My little Pop and Bear are my bundles of joy. I am bubbling over with thanks for the cute things they say, and the little hugs and observations of the world around them. Pop is going through this phase of repeating every funny phrase she hears 4 or 5 times and laughing anew after each repetition---just cause she likes to laugh. Me too.
5. The read a thon is on at our school. For the past two years I have loved it, because my kiddos have zoomed through their homework and chores and read great books in a hope of getting the most minutes and earning their grade prize. I think last year, Big D read over 100 hours (I really can't remember), but some kid apparently doubled it. Is that possible? This kiddo in the 5th grade last year filled out 24 hours for a couple days in a row and his mom signed it---and he won. Did that 10 year old boy really not sleep? So, call me a sore loser, but now I just say---yeah--read that book! It looks like a good one, (but don't worry about that prize!) Luckily my kids really do love books anyway!
6. This last week I decided I need a parenting class. I think I just need to sharpen the saw. I just don't remember what the right mommy answer is all the time. Lissa was sick on Tuesday morning, she was pale with a terrible cough, but no fever. (She was milking it a bit, but that's just par for the course) My mind wheels are churning telling me if my kid stays home from school, she can't go to her soccer practice in which I am the coach. That is the right answer isn't it? So I sympathize with the cute chick, get her some water and a vitamin C, and say "That's fine if you need to stay home, but you know the rules: no school, no soccer." She immediately gets dressed and races out the door. I'm left to think----wouldn't it be okay if she just stays home today and still goes to soccer???---she really doesn't look great. Then I'm thinking is she just working me---am I too long in this mommy business that I'm being "worked"? I need a class.
7. I'm not sure what to think of the flu shot. My hubby (the news guy) has talked about it a lot. I think---wash your hands, eat healthy and exercise and we will maintain reasonable health. I also think some companies stand to make a killing off fear.
8. Things I wish I was on top of: ....yeah, okay this list was too long, so I deleted it.
9. I'm losing 8 pounds by my birthday. I know that's random, but I have to have deadlines other wise my goals are just random wishes floating around and occasionally bumping into my consciousness only to disappoint me.
10. On that note. I'm also printing my blog (sans the personally indulgent entries) by the end of October...and calling it: "Scrapbook." If it's sensational, I will let you know.
11. Mc is helping out with the whole soccer fiasco...uh thing. She is doing a 10 hour project for YW by emailing parents about treats, pictures, sign ups AND...she even made little pink and black hair scrunchies for all the team chickies! We are the Pink Dragons you know!
12. My kiddos LOVE dried mangoes. They ask for them for an after lunch treat. I wish I didn't love them, they are trying to sabotage number 9 above.
13. Favorite pastime: Evening time walks with my husband. Walk and Talk. Good decompressor for the day and happy way to connect!
4 comments:
Good mommy, good soccer coach, good cook, good exerciser, good YW leader, good wife........and the list goes on......
Kim I just love you!
It's funny, I have moments of feeling unproductive due to a tummy bug I've caught ;), and then I read your blog and I feel incredibly unproductive...but am happy that somebody somewhere is getting something done...thanks for pulling my load too sis!!
Oh, and, I'm glad you got thru the first game too. The unknown is always anxiety inducing...game 2 will be cake-walk!! lova ya!
Thanks for commenting on my blog! I didn't know you had diabetes with all your kids!! I think I had it with Sam and Ty, too, but didn't know it. It is really going okay. The hardest thing is not being able to eat all through the day like I want to!
Post a Comment