I REALLY don't know what came over me. Certainly I didn't think it completely through. I have 3 kids signed up for soccer, but my daughter's team doesn't have a coach. They sent out the pleading email today (we have seen them in season's past) my answer has always been to be a team mom and organize snacks, pictures and what not.
However, today I knew there was really no one else who could do it for our little team. So I sent an email saying maybe I could help co coach, if they don't have anyone. (Meaning someone qualified!!!)
I just checked my email, and they sent me the roster with a note that says "Thanks, let us know if you have any questions."
How about "What is offsides?"
How about "How much can you expect from 9 little 8 years olds?"
I feel like I have rocks in my stomach.
I can direct a musical at the drop of a hat, but I have been on the internet researching rules and scrimmaging tactics. Now I feel like I have rocks and maybe a few small groundhogs or other such burrowing creatures.
Eeek. Soccer help anyone???
7 comments:
As a sideliner myself, I really know how to provide treats, get the pictures, get to practise, find the lost sock, tape the shin guards on, scream and yell when the soccer ball FINALLY gets into the net, chase younger siblings around the playground.......but COACH???????? Ask Rick........maybe Jim......
Ohhhhhh yeah......get plenty of kleenex for the sobbing little girls that fall......you'll be grateful for the one girl that's a bully and goes for the gold and doesn'[t mind the bruised shins....
you'll do fine:) They kick the ball in the net and then have oranges, kick the ball in the other direction and you just jump up and down and tell them how awesome they are. SEE you'll do great!
Have them practice dribbling, passing and scoring...seriously, those are the basics. Have the girls pass a little in front of their teammates and keep running to anticipate the ball being passed back (give and go). Have them practice throwing it in (must keep both feet on the ground as you throw in) And have them practice stopping the ball with their bodies and feet....never stop the ball with hands, arms, or shoulders.
Is this too much info? 15 years of soccer and I can't even be there to be your ast. coach...so sad...seriously , call me for anything.
BTW...this is Kayleen, I just realized that I'm signed in as my friend...I'm in UT getting some nonsense done...
Hope you've recovered from your awful sickness...could the illness be to blame for your volunteerism here?
I wish I had advice on how to coach soccer, but I don't. Wishing you the best of luck! I am sure if anyone can figure it out, you can.
That's funny!! I hope you have fun being the coach, Kim!! Good for you.
Post a Comment