Friday, November 15, 2013

Ideas that I love!

I love good ideas!  I love how they can simplify or enrich your life.  I have a few ideas buzzing around in my head, and I need to write them down before they have flown and I cannot access their goodness. 

1st.  Okay listen to this---we do big birthdays around here.  Sometimes too big.  We do a big ol breakfast, often special lunch at the school, favorite dinner, plus crazy yummy desserts, gifts, and every other year a party or a family event.  I was thinking that if I made a one page birthday planner in which the birthday kid can write down all their fondest dreams of food, events, gifts and etc...then at the end we would have a possible plan written out, a sample of their handwriting & a journal of what happened.  If the kiddo asked for way too much, then mom can make a note of what actually happened.  Then this birthday plan can be slipped into a scrapbook or journal helping to chronicle the day!  Plus extra bonus, this birthday plan can be posted on the fridge to help build the anticipation and show that kiddo that you value them and are planning to make sure they are celebrated!  Love it!  Now ideally, I am going to add a birthday service!  I want my kiddos to know where true joy comes, and it has never been from the accumulation of stuff.  For my birthday I got to go to Feed My Starving Children with a whole group of extended family!  It was a blast! (Plus I got to go on a long wonderful, day date with my handsome hubby!)  I'm absolutely writing up a birthday planner for Big D who just turned 16 this week.  His party is next week.  It's a bit retroactive for the actual day, but we'll have a record of the celebration in addition to the pics.  He got a smart phone--(sans the data) oh yeah, life is good to that kid!  :) 

2nd.  I've just barely gotten on top (wow that's an exaggeration)...I've just barely started to sort pictures, programs and paperwork of my 5 kiddos.  I've done a little along the way over the years, but as I added children and callings, I of course grew exponentially behind in scrapbooking (or as I like to call it PROOF of a good childhood!)  Well, my oldest is a senior (Gasp) and I am putting together a yearbook page for her, and I was thinking wouldn't it be grand to make a page of each child per year that features them in different events and activities of that year.  I'm only planning to have 4-6 pages per year per child, but an overview page of many faces would be an ideal and super cute way to conquer the seemingly unconquerable.  How to do this:  One computer folder per child per year filled with faces of the year i.e. Kyden 2013 filled with soccer, swim team, piano, Halloween, birthday, Christmas and etc.  It will be a great snapshot of that year and their cute faces!  I can see how these folders will come in handy over the years for senior year, eagle projects, birthdays, yearbooks, mission and wedding.  Love it.  Gonna do it! (Really I am starting today!)

3rd. Including in FHE...stories of childhood and of grandparents.  We just were introduced to the "My Family" pamphlet during Sunday School.  We LOVED it so much, that we will incorporate a family story in every FHE.  It can be based on a story from a grandparent, or a childhood story of the kiddos.  It really gives the kids a sense of belonging to a great family and since we do belong to a great family...let's capitalize on it.  IDEALLY, I could also journal a few lines in a family journal during/after FHE to write down the story.  Then we would have a mish mash collection of funny/charming and testimony building stories.  This is doable.  Own it and do it!

4th. This idea we are currently doing (bonus points) We have pinned a poster to the wall next to our dining room.  Everyone has a different color sharpie and everyday everyone writes down something they are thankful for.  Wow!  I LOVE this.  I feel that as a group our family is focusing on the good!  Focus on the blessings and suddenly the trials seem temporary or inconsequential!  Phew!  My 9 year old son has written these words this month so far:  Talents, An Education, Veterans, The Gospel, The Book of Mormon, Candy, Birthdays & Math.  Wow!  I am learning from that kiddo! :)  Who writes math?  

Yesterday with my cub scouts we earned the computer Belt Loop, I had each of them type this quote on the computer and print it out to accomplish the requirement:  Gratitude makes what you have enough.  So true.  So gloriously and simply accurate. 

Ok.  That's it.  Now I know where to add the ideas that stop for a landing in my thoughts, and I'll know where to come back to access them, and share a picture of two of the ideas that I put into motion!  Look for samples to come :) 

No comments: