You know that saying "housework makes you ugly"...I think there may be some truth to that. Now having said that: lack of housework makes your home unbearable...at least for me. However, I would like to pontificate a bit about avoiding ugliness.
There are certain activities that we tend to repeat daily, weekly and even monthly. For example: laundry (almost daily here peeps), food prep, food purchase, food clean up--Dishes! (Seriously!) While food may bring joy and lovely sustenance it is a time zapper to the extreme! Cleaning counters and floors via vacuuming, mopping and etc. I could elaborate more, but you get the gist.
I think several days in a row of repetitive house cleaning can really affect the beauty of a person. We are not talking about skin texture or fullness of hair (although I'm sure all these cleaning chemicals do not help :) I am speaking of the inner personality beauty that pours out of a happy person.
That is not all friends, let's talk about little people management. Getting them up in the morning, getting them fed and prepped for school, not to mention daily instruction and reiteration in creating good habits: make your bed, brush your teeth, manage hair, practice the piano, pack a lunch, tidy your room, help with homework and etc.
I'm sure we could all compare lists of things to accomplish this day and commiserate that it is often too long to tackle in a measly 24 hours. It's really a shame that we have to fit sleep in there...just think of the time we could free up----although let's be serious here---Lack of sleep is the key component to UGLINESS. We have seen it in children and we have experienced it as mommies. That is why there needs to just be an unwritten rule for mommies of new babies and mommies of sick children: "You must only read, play or nap with your children today...your list can wait!" Anyone who has several interruptions during the night needs a break!
Okay, so let's just say that we have established that we are all busy. True.
I think we can also safely say that attending to the loving/training of our children, housework and the endless food prep is necessary.
But can I put a word in for dreaming?
You are good at something, you are probably talented at several things. We all are!
Gordon B. Hinckley said: "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
I think using your talents and following your dreams helps to alleviate the dull activities like dishes and laundry. We all have chores---so just do it...set a timer and beat that timer and just get it done! So if you want to still be beautiful despite the lines of experience that may be starting to show on your face INCLUDE YOUR DREAMS ON YOUR LIST and DO IT, or make a plan to make it happen.
I've wanted to write children's books for several years, and it's never really been the time as I have been neck deep in taking care of my cute peeps, but this feels like the year. Truly though, I am out of practice dreaming...in that big space inside my chest that was brimming with dreams and potential is a little bit of doubt that likes to call itself practicality. Yeah, practicality while it has it's uses, still seems to press dreams to the background until they become old, shrunken and unrecognizable.
Wow this will not suffice!
So I have been dusting off my dreams and writing a few children's books. Mostly it's fun and it is also a tiny bit terrifying. What if I don't succeed? Well----Who cares---part of living is just simply going for it. If this dream turns out to be an exercise in learning, then that will be stinky, but maybe valuable. Every week for years I have read out loud to classes of elementary school students. Just think how fun it would be to read them one that I wrote! :) Fun dream eh?
I'm going for it! I have to give it a try. I don't want to sift through my old dreams in several years and see that over time they have become renamed: "Regrets."
What dreams keep you alive? What dreams fill your heart with hope? What can you contribute to the world in a wonderful way that will fill the world with beauty AND your soul at the same time. Don't let those dreams fade. You can do it! :0)
1 comment:
I'm so happy for you to do this!! I, too, have been thinking about this lately. This cute girl in our YW has a friend that loves to bake and opened her own online bakery. She bakes out of her house and is doing her first wedding cake. She's super talented and is only 15!!! Can you imagine!!! What gumption!!! Good for her! I would like to find a niche like that.
And hey, just remember, Michael Jordan was cut from the basketball team his first year trying out. You can do it!!!
Post a Comment