"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again .... who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly..." Theodore Roosevelt
Wow! I wasn't even planning to write a word, but this quote moved me. It was on my cousin Greg's blog who is serving in Japan in the military right now---which knowing that gives it even greater depth.
What is greatness? That which is great rarely appertains to that which is popular in our world. Great accomplishments and discoveries are often undertaken and performed by those not in the limelight, driven by their curiosity and passions. Yet trends set by popular "artists" are adored and mimicked. Bizarre isn't it? Many, although not all, trend setting peeps lead atrocious lives riddled with substance abuse and ridiculous attention seeking antics. As you can see, I am one who has little patience for trends, pop stars whether they be of stage, singing or on the screen. We hardly ever turn on the TV, but my hubby watches the news (uh, it is his job after all). Don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoy theatre and movies, but I don't follow anyone's life enough to know their names let alone their drama (thank goodness---isn't there enough drama without diving into others?) I obviously know enough drama to be opposed to it though!
I was explaining to my kiddos where to look for examples. Do we follow magazines or popular opinion that commandingly points out what is appropriate to say, wear, sing or heaven forbid how to act? Of course not. We don't even subscribe. We will never be happy trying to be someone else. We will undoubtedly trip in their shoes, and maybe they have tripped wearing them as well.
But what was said of Moroni??? "Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men." (Found in The Book of Mormon: Alma 48:17)
Moroni was not great on his own. He was one who unwaveringly followed God, and sealed his heart against evil...and because he followed greatness, he could lead in excellence!
Being ourselves and letting a higher power help us to discover our talents, and our small (maybe great) contributions that we can bring to this world brings amazing peace and happiness. Even if it is on a smaller scale---maybe even the scale of a family! Be YOUR best self! Your beautiful, talented, loved from on High BEST self! Personally, I hope you are just a little quirky too!
3 comments:
1) LOVE the new pics of your kiddos.
2) Not sure if I'm my best self -- but no worries -- I've got the quirkiness down! :)
I love it Kim! I love being able to share things like that. I was talking with friends about those same things before I wrote mine. I just couldn't some how express to them without being interrupted so I figured I had better write it, that way they could understand a little better what I wanted in life.
You and K from Chicago should write books!!!! How you come up with all that insightful stuff I'll never know!!!! And your quirkiness is great too....
Post a Comment