In case you learn that I am the meanest mommy on the planet...and that I will have you practice the piano, learn another instrument, get good grades, practice spelling words, practice reading, do service projects, memorize your articles of faith, exercise, clean bathrooms, sweep floors, pull weeds, go the extra mile, include others that are not your favorite, encourage good attitudes and so many other events that may cause eye rolling or utter exasperation as you grow older---in case you learn that this is true...
Then I call to your remembrance a simpler time when you thought I was the best mommy ever. I remind you of our mommy dates---and all the things that we discovered together at the pet store, the park, on our walks, and at the Library. Remember the lunch lessons and the things I tried to teach you and the things I learned from you. Remember the silly songs I sang to you to make you smile and the little lullabies I whispered in your ear for only you to hear and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of books we read together.
I thank you for all the precious memories that you gave me at a time that I finally knew enough to appreciate the fleeting moments. Thank you so much for being my sweet, adorable kids. Bear, when you held behind your back those little flowers this week, my heart melted out of my chest right on to the sidewalk, and I knew that I was the luckiest mommy in the world---not just the meanest. I love you!
7 comments:
It's only extremes for kids; the best mommy in the whole wide world ever...or the worst. Gotta love it.
-Brian
I wish you had been MY mommy altho I would have given you tons of grief during the teen years that would make your straight hair curl right up!!!! I know your kids have one of the greatest mom's----picked especially for them!!!
So true!
Oh, amen to that! I had a "mean" mom and boy am I grateful! It wasn't until I was a mom myself before I realized what a dang sacrifice it is to be "mean"! I'd much rather be fun all the time! It's a balance act, I tell ya!
kim that was such a sweet post:O)
Your kids are super lucky to have you and the rest of us are lucky to learn from you!
I think my favorite part was how you finally know enough to appreciate this part of life with your youngest kids.
Some days I think I have learned this lesson with my littlest ones. Some days, I need to come back and reread this post.
Beautifully written.
Wow -- you really are mean. Tee hee. MEAN MOMS UNITE! And thank heavens for our mean moms! You are a fantastic mommy... thanks for all the awesome mommy inspiration you give me!
Post a Comment