Has anyone read The King's Stilts by Dr. Suess? I've directed a couple of plays that were Dr. Suess' books brought to life (uh---incidentally those productions were PRE Suessical the Musical days--we thought we were pretty original) Nonetheless, I enjoy Dr. Suess. I love his whimsy and unmistakable lessons. I actually am not a fan of the movies that have been made--too convoluted, but I do enjoy his picture books.
I mean who can't relate to the star belly sneetches? And who isn't relieved every time Yertle the Turtle takes a nose dive off his throne. I still laugh at the silly mom of 23 Daves---maybe because I don't get out enough---who knows! It would be rather amusing to name my children by their personality or smell--I can see the appeal. If you're lost---then you better high tail it to a juvenile section of the Library and introduce your kiddos to the mirth that Dr. Suess constitutes.
Well enough about that, it often takes me paragraphs to get where I'm going...
The King's Stilts is partly about a King who works hard from sun-up to sundown and keeps things going smoothly in his Kingdom, by when he is finally off duty he breaks out his stilts...and hits the town. The moral of the story visits the topic of balance---and keeping your smiler going, and I think it is a rather worthwhile point.
I've been jogging/running for years now. I don't love it, but I appreciate that it keeps me in better shape in a shorter amount of time. I've entertained the idea of running a marathon, but even when I finish 5 or so miles---I never think---sheesh---wish that was longer! So I try to vary it up---by lifting weights, swimming, biking---blah, blah, blah!
Well Hubby and I got Rollerblades 14 years ago when we were newlies. That was fun, but during one of our 9 moves, those blades got packed away rarely to be visited over the next several years. They are in the garage. I've passed them numerous time, observed the dust and kept walking.
However, on a whim about 5 weeks ago, I pulled out my blades---strapped them up (dust and all), and 6 miles later I was still giggling and smiling. I'm sure I was substantial entertainment for the passing motorists as well. My balance checks (huge flailing of arms and legs) were many, but I kept a great pace and LOVED IT!
Now, many weeks later, I still jog once of twice a week to keep in check, but I also blade twice a week and I LOVE IT! It does not feel like exercise! It feels like flying. I have yet to fall! Did I just invite fate?? (Although I turfed it huge this weekend on my son's scooter---over the handlebars completely prostrate on the asphalt--ouch!) I go for 45 or 50 minutes before I check my watch---and realize I better get back to reality! Sigh! I'm sure I could happily blade a marathon. And don't try to burst my bubble here--according to 2 out of 3 websites that I've checked. Blading is more effective than jogging in calorie burning! Oh YEAH--bring it on!
But my point is---who cares---I love it---and if I can find something that I love and it's good for my heart too---BONUS.
If mom's happy--then she spreads the wealth---Balance is a good thing!
Incidentally---I'm feeling very Green---I've rollerbladed to our Library, and to the store. I finally got hubby to go with me last week---and looks like I've enlisted a cute partner! Hee Hee!
Final note, blading at night is so stinking fun--(but watch for rocks). There are less stares, less heat and less time constraints! Here's to balance and in my book that includes some sort of stilts---er uh blading!
No comments:
Post a Comment