Alright, I'm in the Stake YW Presidency and it's great and fabulous, but we have been averaging 3-4 nights a week associated with softball and more, so with that and soccer season with 3 of my kiddos, ---I'm just not home at night much above nurturing kiddos, preparing food for my little troop and cleaning (wow vicious cycle eh?!)
Nonetheless, I have great plans to blog a few recent events, but in the mean time---I'm looking for ideas to make this holiday bright.
Here are a few I love...
1. Filling the manger with straw (raffia in our case) We have done this every year for at least 6 or more years. We introduce the empty manger during FHE, talk about Mosiah 2:17 "...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." Then we brainstorm ways of doing service within our family and out to be able to add enough straw to give a comfy manger to Christ for Christmas. One straw per act.
2. Caroling. (So fun--a family favorite, we even have a little harmony piece)
3. Secret Santa for kiddos our kids age.
4. Secret 12 days of Christmas for another family
5. Family exchange gifts.
6. Advent Candle and Scripture and Song to go with it in front of the Christmas tree
Okay----what do you do---what makes the holidays special at your house. I would love to hear your ideas!!
6 comments:
what exactly do you do with your advent wreath?
Brian and I get each other a pair of pajama bottoms to open on Christmas Eve, and we wear them to bed...also, we would like to start serving at a shelter sometime in December, or maybe visit the children's hospital, or nursing homes...something to open our kids up to those in need during Christmas time.
Blake and I for the last couple of years have done a Christmas Jar. All year we save our change and put it in a canning jar and then I will buy the book "The Christmas Jar" and we will put it with our little Christmas Jar and give it to someone in need. We recieved one acouple of year ago and it really touched my heart! So since then we have done it every year.
My brother and his family take their kids to pick a person from a giving tree to buy a present for them.
I love your manger FHE idea..We are so doing it!! In fact...if I can find or make (very simply) miniature mangers, what a GREAT neighbor gift that would be. I could wrap the straw up seperately with the scripture you mentioned and a thought suggesting to fill the manger this season with acts of service...I have a lot of non members on my street..that would be an AWESOME spiritual message for the season...thanks!!!
On Christmas Eve, we have a family talent show. We've done it since we were very young, and always try to come up with new ideas for original talents to share. For instance, one year my brother played a cowbell solo and I did Tai Chi. This year we're doing a sibling rock band as a surprise for our parents. It's fun to see what we all come up with each year. It's an awesome tradition!
Post a Comment