I was chatting with Bear tonight about his rapidly approaching 5th birthday. We have a traditional "Birthday Dinner" that is the person's choice and I was asking Bear what he wanted to have.
He said he wants to have some noodles (which is consistently his answer no matter when I ask "What should we have for dinner?)
Okay..."so pasta...and..." then he says he wants Green Beans because they are his favorite.
(we saute Costco's organic frozen green beans---yummy)
I say: "okay...so pasta and green beans"...and then his eyes get wide and he says
"MOM---CAN WE HAVE TWO VEGETABLES???"
I say: "Well, sure of course you can!"
Bear then says "Let's have Broccoli too--because I love it!"
Then, I offer---well do you want homemade rolls too? And I have officially made this little guy's night. Mind you, we did discuss dessert, but crazily enough---he was most animated over the veggies--who knew?? Bring on the broccoli and green beans!
As long as we are talking food, I have really not made many Sea Food dishes as Dan is not a fan of anything from the sea. I do make salmon maybe 4-6 times a year, but haven't made many other fish dishes. So in an effort to introduce our kids to more things...Tonight I served shrimp (with Bruschetta Pasta and broccoli) and Big D, and Pop couldn't get enough of it. (Seriously Pop asked for more shrimp 3 times) Lissa and Bear ate a fair amount, Mc stomached the pasta, and Dan ate the chicken I made for him. Phew---way to branch out to the healthy Sea---we're so proud. =)
5 comments:
Wow! That is impressive. I tried to serve brussel sprouts and my little guy cried and carried on and actually threw up right at the table after he ate one. We do ok with corn, cauliflower, and unrecognizable pieces of broccoli in dishes--- so I want to know your tricks!! Please post your magic tricks!!
How can such a mean mom actually have kids that WANT green beans and broccoli??? And SHRIMP?????? I never even let one of those in my house!!! And brussel sprouts??? That's enough to make ME gag--and dad too!! Hey, Dan, I'm on your side---pasta and chicken,,yum, but the green beans and broccoli are good too. At least your kids will be able to eat anywhere!! And eat good stuff. I still can't get over your toddlers eating peppers!!! Dad still has a hard time with green things and onions....
that's funny! Bear and my Abbie would get along famously:O) I am not so much a fan of the seafood so I thing you are really brave!
Jenn, I don't know if I have any magic tricks, but we do have a no veggies/no dessert policy (although we only have dessert a couple times a week and have veggies daily of course) These are a few things I do:
1. Introduce the veggie a hundred times (it take 14 times to become accustumed to a new taste--random)
2. Feed veggies first (small salad plate first for dinner), so the kids are eating the veggies when they are hungry and the dinner rolls and etc, when they are nearly full. I really try NOT to overcook, I like mine still crisp.
3. I'm probably a little too into nutrition, but my kids KNOW what is good for us and what is not. I read to them little snippits about spinach and why it is a super food etc.-and that works for the older kids. We love spinach salad (NOT cooked spinach) but fresh baby spinach with cut up carrots, tomatoes, and lots of colors of peppers. We call in rainbow salad and a few of us eat it sans the dressing.
4. I include them in food prep. The other day, I read to them online about the health benefits of oranges and grapefruit, and then took them with me to pick a basket full! (Bonus of Arizona!)
Anyone else have great healthy food ideas? We also try to do fun snacks after school---Fresh Fruit Smoothies, Home-made Kettle Corn, Peanut Butter Apples...etc. I don't know if this helps =)
PS. While we love asparagus and spinach and so many others, we have NOT done the Brussel Sprouts deal---tried them once a million years ago---and it left a horrible impression.
Bear has got it going on! No wonder he's a super hero... he's fueled by veggies! :)
Post a Comment