Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Few of my Favorite Things...

I really love people---and laughter and life overall, but I also love a few things!
Can I just say that I LOVE my cricut machine! I Love it! I really enjoy scrapbooking, I RARELY do it (who has the time?), but I love cranking out a couple of pages that remind my family of happy times!
I have made an 8x8 album for each of my kiddos, that only has 1-2 pictures of them each year. Mostly it contains their studio or school pictures in 5x7 form. This is my kind of scrapbooking---easily maintained---and monumentally cute results. Anyway, I actually updated those scrapbooks for my 5 chickens this weekend. I also do a 12x12 album full of only once a year family pics---maybe I like the success of easy things (There's a good topic for therapy!).
So, this weekend, I slipped upstairs to my bedroom and set out supplies all over my table and then my bed (and don't forget the floor), I was not alone for long. Big D brought in various lego concoctions and joined me. Lissa brought blankets, pillows, dolls and younger sis Pop into the room, and of course Bear wanders in wondering where everyone is---including brother and said legos. (Note to kids: There ARE other rooms in the house), but apparently hanging out in my room was the place to be. Mc and Dad were the only ones to steer clear (no doubt enjoying the silence in the rest of the house!)
Despite the Chaos, I was able to coo over many pictures and even stick a few on pages. The great thing about the Cricut---is that it cuts what you want to say on your scrapbook page in the size, color and font you want. Love it! Huge time saver---and makes pages look fab!
Regretfully, I only scrapbook 2-3 times a year, however I use almost all of my supplies year round for school projects. When Big D ran for Student Body office a couple months back---my hubby actually made the posters (HOORAY!) but I cut out the letters on my buddy the cricut. Love it. Big D even won the election! Yea Big D!
I also LOVE books on CD! I really enjoy a good book, but find that I cannot take the time to read them (occasionally I pull a couple of all nighters to demolish a new release or two, but that is also 2-3 times a year) In the meantime, I check out loads of books with my kids at the library and we always get books on CD. We listen to them in the car while running errands, folding laundry, and all household chores. They are a great "keep the peace" items when on a road trip! It all started with Harry Potter back 6 years ago, and Jim Dale (the narrator of the books) is so amazing, that we have found few to match his talents, but still have enjoyed many books (more than 150). The older three kiddos enjoy the books on CD and Bear sometimes laughs at the humorous parts, but we alternate the books with plenty of fun music to vary it up!
Today I was reminded that I LOVE to sing with children! I love the abandon and delight with with little kids sing! How happy is that! If you are looking for stress alleviation---sing with a room full of children!
Well I would still say that having a good laugh---or catching the laughter of children (which is always available) is one of life's great delights. Having a fabulous husband is happiness as I know it, rain falling in the middle of July to cool off temperatures can be blissful and jotting down for a few moments about some of my favorite things can be fun!

3 comments:

Janae said...

sounds like you are having a fun summer.... singing kids and all!! I will have to try books on cd... although I might miss the cuddling up with a blanket part!! kudos to the kids and the great prelim scores and good luck in the finals..

Anonymous said...

sounds like all is well in Arizona. Congrats to Dallin for winning the election!!
Sarah

Kim and company said...

Hey Janae, There's a book we just finished "Wolf Brother" by Michelle Paver and narrated by Ian McKellen--pretty good book, but EXCELLENT narration! He played Gandolf in The Lord of the Rings. Only 6.5 hours---J would love it!