Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sleepy Greeting!

There is a joke that has been going on in my family for years! I used to do it when I was a teenager with my siblings. Then I passed it on to my college roommates. Now all my cutie patooties do it as well. It is silly. It is simple, but it makes me giggle every time!
Today after my meetings at the church for Primary (our church children's organization), I came home and opened the door to the house and my senses were greeted simultaneously with a women's chorus on CD singing an ethereal Sunday song and the wonderfully inviting aroma of cake baking in the oven. Lovely and surreal. I like cake fine, I don't love it, but I LOVE the smell of yellow cake baking. Having breathed in the scrumptious scent and listened to the song trying to figure out which CD it was I was already smiling...it was then I realized that the house was otherwise silent (not a commonality in our little world).
Then I walked into the kitchen to find all 5 children and one cute husband asleep. My hubby was leaning on the counter and each of the kids was sprawled in one way or another. Even 2 year old little Pop was sitting on a bar stool with her head on the counter and her little eyes tightly closed! I bust out laughing! Pop joined me---she can't keep the joke going too long! Everyone slowly joined the laughter---miraculously arousing from their sleepy state! There it is! Our little family joke!
When we hear Dan's car pull into the garage---someone shouts "Pretend you're asleep" And we drop wherever we are---or dive onto the couch, or pile up on each other and do just that---sleep!
I have been shopping with my clan and turned the corner on the isle, to find everyone asleep in the bakery! Carbs apparently don't just make you chubby, they make you sleepy as well. I have been known to "fall asleep" with a spatula in my hand at the stove, leaning my head against a cupboard. Somehow our little joke conveys joviality and warmth.
When I walked in today and my sleepy clan had a chance to awaken, I heard the words on the CD---something about heaven and it struck me so clearly----this really is my little slice of heaven.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

We do that sometimes too :) My kids love to hide when they hear Dad's car pull into the garage. Girly joins in on the fun too and is always the first one to jump up from behind the couch and say "A-Prize!"