Where's Bear's Body?
Mango, Strawberry, Peach, Blueberry--Yum!
Cheesey Grins
We are booked for nearly the rest of the Summer with different activities and trips! School starts in only 3 weeks! I was chatting with a family friend on the phone this morning and she was telling me how she is inviting some neighbors to see the "Reflections on Christ" exhibit at the Mormon Temple Visitor's Center. At the mention of that exhibit I remember we had received an email telling us that the exhibit is going to be leaving our city and moving to another at the end of this month. Sigh---I thought we either fit it in today or we don't see it! In life you can either procrastinate and lose out (which I sometimes choose) or you can grab that moment---and it may be a moment of hassle that pays out good dividends. You never know til you jump!
Well I got off the phone---and I immediately planned a field trip with my fabulous kiddos! Everyone finished their swimming, piano and chores (in record time) and we set off for the visitors center. I thought we would be there maybe an hour! We stayed over three!
The Exhibit was Beautiful! If it comes to your visitor's center---then GO! It is a series of photographs of the life of Christ. Very moving! Excellent perspective. All of my kiddos loved it. The picture of the Ten Virgins---a Masterpiece---Amazing! So much to be learned from one picture with so many faces. That is one I would LOVE in my home! The picture with the exultant angels at the birth of Christ, made me want to cheer too---maybe even blow a long trumpet! Gorgeous. But the show stoppers were the picture of Joseph, Mary and Christ---as Mary and Jesus lay sleeping and Joseph stood silently pondering and observing. My words will never paint the right picture, but the exhibit itself is truly worthwhile and each of my older 3 kiddos had something profound and new to say about a couple of pieces. Nice! Even 4 year old Bear pointed out his favorite picture with the Roman soldier kneeling at the base of the cross of Christ. I really believe ART can teach where words fall short. Don't miss it!
Anyway we ended up seeing a film about Joseph Smith, a modern day prophet, and playing with all of the amazing interactive screens and presentations at the Visitors Center! Even though Pop got a little crazy with out her nap, it was a happy impromptu trip, and her antics seemed to be charming the sister missionaries! Phew!
Ironically, this morning as I was doing the "laundry shuffle" I was inwardly musing about how in life we often stuff our moments of time in taking care of things that we accumulate along the way (clothes, yards, nick knacks ---countless possessions in these Happy United States), and how things often crowd out the most important, which will always be people. Time goes too quickly to spend it on things of little worth. (Hey---Do you think this epiphany will get me out of doing the dishes? Or how about at least cleaning the shower I really HATE to clean showers)
Anyway, what a happy day! We took a few pictures, then came home and wrote in our journals (counted for homework today---yea!) Then we ate fruit smoothies and popcorn so late in the day I was tempted to call it dinner!
No comments:
Post a Comment